It takes a door to raise a house. A house is not a home without a door. All good things start with… a door? Maybe in some far off distant country these are actual sayings. Maybe not. Regardless, Wednesday, January 25th at just past 11:00 am, the Red Antiquities Building officially became a building with a door.
In keeping with our commitment to maintaining the heritage of the building, the original double door was recreated from pictures by Al Marlow, of Al’s Custom Millwork. Soon, the original main door, which was painstakingly restored by Mr. Marlow, will take it’s place back in the building where it belongs.
Driving by the Red Antiquities Building, one feels a sense of completion as the two toned red and cream double door and crisp, newly painted window frames signal the light at the end of a very, very long tunnel. This window, is a replica of the original store front window, built in 1893.
A photo, from the University of Western Ontario archives shows how little the building, including the window, has been altered since it’s original construction. It’s not difficult to imagine the building, in it’s heyday, greeting customers who stopped in from all directions. From that expansive window, the Winders must have looked out on a very different skyline and perhaps imagined the changes which were to come. We owe a great deal of gratitude to the London Endowment for Heritage Fund for contributing to the completion of this window.
It won’t be long before sheets of drywall make their way through these newly minted doors. Work continues at a rapid pace as everyone involved waits for the day when we can call this project: complete.